These delectable little spinach cheese squares are an easy party appetizer that freezes beautifully and tastes absolutely amazing!
A retro appetizer that’s still wildly popular today, this spinach cheese squares recipe is so simple to make, use easy-to-find ingredients, are easy to freeze, and perfect for serving at parties and holidays!
Slice these spinach cheese squares into 1″ bite-sized squares for the perfect “pop in your mouth” appetizer. OR… serve a larger amount as an easy spinach side dish alongside grilled chicken, salmon or any main dish!
If you like spinach dip, you’ll LOVE these spinach squares. It’s all the delicious ingredients like spinach and cheese but baked into easy to eat squares. They are moist, full of flavor and dare I say… might just become your new go-to appetizer!
Spinach Cheese Square Ingredients
- red pepper (this is optional, leave it out or add more if you like some heat)
- garlic salt
- all-purpose flour
- sharp cheddar cheese (grate your own, it makes all the difference!)
- Monterey jack cheese
- frozen spinach
Frozen spinach is inexpensive and easy to find, so I like to keep it on hand for lots of recipes, especially this one. You’ll just defrost it, squeeze out any excess moisture, pat dry with paper towels and then dump it in! If you prefer, you can use fresh spinach (cooked down, about 1 1/2 cups).
Cheddar and Monterey Jack Cheeses: I recommend grating your own cheeses rather than buying store-bought shredded cheese. You can certainly use store-bought in a pinch, but if you have time, grate your own! The flavor is much stronger! Also, feel free to swap out the cheeses for your preferred varieties. Parmesan or even feta would be delicious alternatives. Just stick to 2 cups of total cheese.
Spice it Up: If you like a little extra kick, keep the red pepper in the recipe (and even add red pepper flakes if you love spicy). If you prefer to keep these spinach cheese squares more mild (or if you’re serving to children), then leave it out. Either way is DELICIOUS!
How to Freeze Spinach Cheese Squares
These will last for up to 3 months in the freezer so bake them, wrap them tightly and place in a freezer-safe airtight container and pull them out whenever company is coming!
How many Spinach Squares does the recipe make?
I like to cut these cheesy spinach squares on the smaller side, they’re the perfect bite-size finger food at about 1″. You can certainly make them larger too. I can cut about 50 squares out of a 9×13 pan at 1″ each, but if you make them twice as big, you’ll make 25 or so.
If you’re looking for a healthy finger food for a party, I hope you’ll give these spinach cheese squares a try! They are a HUGE HIT with my friends and family! They are a great appetizer that’s versatile enough to serve at any occasion from a brunch to a holiday cocktail party!
Try out these other Easy Party Finger Foods:
- Whipped Ricotta Crostini with Honey
- The BEST Marinated Shrimp
- Easy Sausage Phyllo Cups
- Bacon & Goat Cheese Phyllo Cups with Fig Jam
Spinach Cheese Squares
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper optional
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1 10-ounce box frozen chopped spinach
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13 baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, butter and milk.
- Stir in the red pepper, garlic salt, and flour. Stir well.
- Add in the shredded cheese and stir to mix well.
- Thaw the frozen spinach as directed on the box. Be sure to pat the spinach dry to remove excess moisture. Add spinach into the bowl and stir until well combined.
- Pour spinach mixture into prepared 9×13 baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Cut into bite-sized 1" squares (or larger squares if you like!)