A simple whipped ricotta crostini topped with fresh sliced apple, crushed pistachios, a drizzle of honey and topped with arugula! Easy and perfect for a quick party appetizer!
This crostini is one of those appetizers that you’ll come back to again and again, trust me! The apple, pistachios, and honey is just the perfect flavor combination. And whipped ricotta? You can NEVER go wrong with whipped ricotta!
If you’ve been asked to bring an appetizer to a potluck or party, I highly suggest this one! They’re easy to make and always a hit.
Ingredients for Whipped Ricotta Crostini
What is Crostini?
Crostini are small toasts served with a topping, served appetizer style. In Italian, the word crostini literally means “little toasts” and they are the perfect base for tons of flavor combinations.
Don’t miss my Fig and Goat Cheese Crostini too! They’re a favorite around the holidays.
What is Whipped Ricotta?
Ricotta is an Italian whey cheese that you can easily find at any grocery store. It’s mild in flavor so it’s perfect for flavoring with seasonings, herbs, and spices. Whipped ricotta is simply put, ricotta that has been whipped with flavorings in a food processor or blender until smooth.
This whipped ricotta crostini uses my whipped ricotta dip as the base. It’s easy to make too and while I love to serve it dip-style, sometimes I want to get extra fancy and prepare the crostini for guests.
Whipped Ricotta & Honey Crostini
Whipped ricotta pairs so well with honey. It’s that extra touch of sweetness that is so perfect with the crunchy crostini, salty pistachios and crisp apple slice. I love just about everything drizzled with honey, and it’s perfect on these crostini as well.
Jazz it up and make a hot honey whipped ricotta crostini but substituting hot honey for regular honey! I have lots of hot honey appetizers coming soon, so grab a bottle if you haven’t tried it before! It’s SO good!
How to Make Whipped Ricotta Crostini
- Make your crostini by slicing a baguette into 1/2″ slices.
- Brush the toasts with olive oil, season with salt and bake at 400 degrees F for 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool and spread each crostini with whipped ricotta.
- Top with a thin slice of green apple.
- Sprinkle with roughly chopped pistachios.
- Drizzle with honey.
- Garnish with an arugula leaf.
- Finish with a sprinkling of sea salt.
Crostini Recipe Flavor Substitutions
Instead of Apple: Try pear
Instead of Honey: Try hot honey or balsamic glaze
Instead of Ricotta: Try brie or goat cheese
I hope you’ll give this easy whipped ricotta crostini a try! It’s a super simple crostini and the green apple, pistachio and honey combo is *chef’s kiss*!
More delicious appetizers to try!
- Caprese Dip
- Cuban Sandwich Skewers
- Muffuletta Dip
- The BEST Spinach Cheese Squares
- Easy Sausage Phyllo Cups
Whipped Ricotta Crostini with Honey
For the Whipped Ricotta Spread
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest (optional)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For the Crostini Assembly
- 1 baguette sliced into 1/2" slices
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 green apple thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pistachios finely chopped
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 cups baby arugula
- Using a food processor or blender, puree the whole milk ricotta with thyme, parsley, lemon zest, olive oil, honey, garlic, salt and pepper for 2 minutes, until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lay baguette slices in a single layer on a baking sheet and brush with olive. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until crostini are lightly golden. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Remove whipped ricotta from refrigerator and spread about 1 tablespoon on top of each cooled crostini.
- Top each with a thinly sliced layer of green apple. TIP: to keep apples from turning brown, quickly dip them in a shallow bowl of lemon juice.
- Top each apple slice with about 1 teaspoon of roughly chopped pistachios.
- Drizzle crostini with honey and top with arugula. Optional: finish with additional sea salt.