It’s time for a classic crowd-pleasing appetizer: Hot Dog Bites! These delicious hot dog bites, also known as pigs-in-a-blanket, are the ultimate party snack or game day treat. What’s even better? They’re made with only three ingredients!
This easy game-day appetizer is truly a star! They are kid-friendly too, everyone loves these hot dog bites. The first to go at every party, they’re also very easy to make! They’re kind of similar to corn dog bites so if you like those, you’ll love these.
Walk through the step-by-step instructions below.
Just 3 ingredients
How to Make Hot Dog Bites
Here are the basics, but as always, you can find the full recipe card (printable) at the end of the blog post!
- Preheat and Prep: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it to prevent sticking.
- Roll and Wrap: But each hot dog into thirds. I typically use Nathan’s jumbo hot dogs, but use what you like! Cut each crescent roll triangle into two, lengthwise to make two tall and narrow triangles. Take each piece of hot dog and wrap it snugly in a triangle of crescent roll dough. Make sure to seal the edges so the hot dog stays tucked inside.
- Sprinkle Sesame Seeds: Once all your hot dog bites are wrapped, sprinkle sesame seeds on top. More options down below if you don’t want to use sesame seeds.
- Bake: Arrange the hot dog bites on the prepared baking sheet and pop them into the preheated oven. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes, or until the crescent dough is golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve and Enjoy: Remove from the oven and serve! These hot dog bites are best enjoyed warm and dipped in your favorite condiments like ketchup, mustard, or even a spicy mayo! To reheat after making, pop them in the oven or toaster oven for a couple of minutes until warm!
Hot Dog Bites: Recipe Tips
- Ensure your crescent roll dough is cold when wrapping the hot dogs. This makes it easier to handle and prevents it from becoming too sticky.
- Don’t be afraid to get creative with your toppings! Besides sesame seeds, you can sprinkle everything bagel seasoning, shredded cheese, or even minced garlic for added flavor.
- If you’re serving these hot dog bites at a party, consider setting up lots of dipping sauces like ketchup, mustard, sriracha dipping sauce, aioli, BBQ sauce, etc.
- Feel free to swap out the hot dogs for mini sausages or cocktail wieners if you prefer. I just usually have hot dogs on hand.
- Get creative with your toppings! If you’re not a fan of sesame seeds, you can omit them entirely or replace them with poppy seeds, sea salt, everything bagel seasoning, shredded cheese or even a brush of garlic butter!
- Swap out the crescent rolls for puff pastry (just cut long triangles, the concept is the same)!
These little crescent dog bites are such a quick snack and look so delicious on a serving platter. They won’t last long though!
Making in Advance:
If you want to make these hot dog bites ahead of time, you can assemble them and freeze on a baking sheet. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer bag or airtight container. When ready to bake, simply place them on a baking sheet and bake from frozen, adding a few extra minutes to the baking time. Just watch carefully to be sure they don’t overcook.
That’s it! This is such an easy, three-ingredient recipe for hot dog bites! Whether you’re hosting a game day party or just looking for a fun snack to enjoy at home, this bite-sized appetizer are sure to be a hit.
More Game Day Favorites
Hot Dog Bites
- 5 hot dogs
- 1 can crescent roll dough
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 375℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut each hot dog into thirds.
- Roll out crescent roll dough and separate on the triangle lines. Carefully cut each crescent roll triangle in half lengthwise to make two narrow triangles.
- Roll each hot dog bite up in the crescent roll dough (starting on the wide end) and press the point down so the dough won't unroll while baking.
- Sprinkle each hot dog bite with sesame seeds. Line them evenly on your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 11 to 13 minutes or until crescent roll is golden brown.