These little party bites are basically a Cuban sandwich on a stick! Layer salami, ham, Swiss cheese and a mini dill pickle on a skewer with mustard for dipping…low carb, easy and delish!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
Serving up small skewers as appetizers is always a go-to of mine because they’re simple to make, can often be prepped in advance, and look great on a platter or appetizer spread! These cuban sandwich skewers are no exception!
What’s in a Cuban Sandwich?
Often called a Cubano, the Cuban Sandwich is a pressed and grilled sandwich consisting of ham, roasted pork, salami, Swiss cheese, dill pickles and mustard on Cuban bread. Cuban bread is most similar to a French bread baguette.
How to Make Cuban Sandwich Skewers:
Let’s turn this popular sandwich into a skewer appetizer, shall we? It’s basically a mini Cuban sandwich in appetizer form! DELISH! Plus, when you nix the bread, you’re left with an appetizer that’s low carb and keto friendly party appetizer! So here’s how to make them…
Grab your skewers (a 4″ skewer works well for these) and layer on your salami, ham, Swiss cheese and a petite dill pickle!
- You can also use a pickle slice, that will work just as fine as well! There are so many pickle vanities these days, spicy pickles would be good too!
- I recommend buying your Swiss cheese in a block and making your own cubes, it tastes much better than pre-bought cubes, but they’re fine to use if you’re short on time!
- When layering on your salami and ham, just fold each slice over (back and forth) and skewer it to create a “uniform look” to your party skewers.
Serving your Skewer Appetizers:
Serve your Cuban Sandwich Skewers with a side of mustard for dipping! Since Cuban sandwiches are traditionally made with yellow mustard, it makes the perfect dipping sauce. I garnished my bowl of mustard with a little paprika and dried parsley, but that’s totally optional.
If you want an alternative to yellow mustard, you could make a mustard aioli or even a honey mustard dip to serve alongside the skewers.
I love to serve any skewer appetizer on a wooden board or simple tray. Any serving platter where they’re easy to grab is perfect. These low carb bites would make a great addition to an antipasto board or tapas platter.
Can you make these skewers in advance?
Absolutely! That’s why I LOVE these mini Cuban sandwich skewers, they’re perfect for parties where you’re making lots of different dishes because these can be made 2-3 days in advance. Just keep them covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve cold! Plus, they’re only 4 ingredients – EASY and tasty.
More Party Appetizers to Try:
- Baked Muffuletta Dip (so cheesy & delish)
- Chilled Caprese Dip
- Puff Pastry Parmesan Twists (SO easy + look gourmet)
- Easy Sausage Phyllo Cups
- Olive Cheese Ball
Cuban Sandwich Skewers
- 24 small wooden skewers (4"-6")
- 24 cubes Swiss Cheese
- 24 slices Salami (small rounds)
- 24 slices Deli Ham (small rounds or pieces)
- 24 Petite Dill Pickles (or pickle slices)
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard optional, for dipping
- On each wooden skewer, layer on a small pickle, piece of Salami (folded), piece of Ham (folded), and Swiss cheese cube.
- Serve Cuban Sandwich Skewers with yellow mustard for dipping. Enjoy!