These Puff Pastry Parmesan Twists are an easy 3-ingredient cheese straw made with store-bought puff pastry dough, parmesan cheese and simple seasonings.
If you have never made cheese straws out of puff pastry before, you are in for a treat! These delightful little puff pastry twists will instantly become a favorite snack or appetizer, I’m sure of it.
Top them with any cheese and seasoning combo your heart desires. I love to use parmesan cheese and herbs de Provence. Here are a few more ideas!
Puff Pastry Cheese Twist Flavor Combos
Select any grated hard cheese and seasoning of your choice! Get creative and blend together different types of cheeses too!
- Parmesan & Herbs de Provence
- Gruyere & Minced Thyme
- Pecorino Romano & Cayenne Pepper
- Aged Cheddar & Paprika
These savory puff pasty twists really are super simple to make. Let’s go through the easy steps, and by the way, these steps will be the same no matter what type of cheese or seasoning toppings you choose to use. It’s a really simple puff pastry appetizer, so no worries if you’re new to baking with puff pastry!
How to Make Puff Pastry Cheese Twists
STEP 1: Unfold your thawed puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Using a roll pin, roll it to 1/8″ thick rectangle. Don’t worry about the size of the rectangle, this recipe is forgiving, just roll it out thin.
STEP 2: Brush the rolled out puff pastry with an egg wash. An egg wash is 1 lightly beaten egg thinned out with 1-2 tablespoons of water. This gives the puff pastry a golden color and helps your toppings stay on.
STEP 3: This is the fun part! Sprinkle on your grated cheese and seasoning choices. For me, that’s grated parmesan cheese and herbs de Provence. Using a rolling pin, carefully roll over the toppings to help press them into the puff pastry dough.
You can find herbs de Provence in the seasoning aisle, it’s a blend of savory, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, and oregano.
STEP 4: Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, carefully cut out long, thin strips from your puff pastry rectangle. It doesn’t matter how long or short they are, the process is the same!
Sometimes I make extra long ones, and sometimes I go for the short end to make short ones. If serving with a dip, I recommend shorter cheese twists so they don’t break.
STEP 5: Grab each end with your fingers and simply twist into shape and lay on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush one more time with egg wash, give a sprinkling of sea salt and bake at a 375-degree oven for about 12-15 minutes!
Once they’re out of the oven, enjoy right away! I think they taste the most crispy while still warm or room temperature, but after about a couple of hours, they being to lose their crispy texture.
These crispy, buttery cheese twists are the perfect snack for happy hours, cocktail parties, or even as a substitute for breadsticks with lasagna or spaghetti (also try these parmesan bread bites)!
I always keep an extra box of puff pastry in my freezer to whip these up. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
If you want even more appetizer ideas, check out these favorites below!
- Baked Muffuletta Dip
- Easy Sausage Phyllo Cups
- Cold Caprese Dip with Tomatoes, Mozzarella & Basil
- Whipped Ricotta Crostini with Honey
Puff Pastry Parmesan Twists
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons herbs de Provence
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold thawed puff pastry sheet. I used Pepperidge Farm brand. Using a rolling pin dusted with flour, roll the puff pastry to 1/8" thickness.
- Brush the rolled puff pastry with egg wash (lightly beaten egg + 1 tablespoon water).
- Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese and herbs de Provence on top of the puff pastry.
- Gently roll over the top of the puff pastry with a rolling pin to press the toppings into the dough.
- Cut the pastry crosswise into 8-10 strips (about 1/2" thickness). Hold the ends of each strip and twist.
- Brush again with egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt. Carefully place on baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden.