Fresh berries and mini marshmallows are all you need to make this Fourth of July snack. American Flag Fruit Skewers are healthy, easy and delicious!
While these American Flag berry skewers are more on the sweet than savory side, I still think they would be a delightful red, white and blue addition to any snack or appetizer table for the 4th of July! And of course, they would make a delicious dessert option as well.
American Flag Fruit Skewers
These red, white and blue berry skewers only take a few ingredients to make along with simple wooden skewer sticks!
Super Simple Ingredients
These red, white and berry skewers are the perfect Fourth of July appetizer because you can make them in advance, and they’re easy to grab and eat at backyard parties or take on the go to a cookout!
How to Make American Flag Fruit Skewers
- Separate 4 (or 5… it doesn’t have to be exact) wooden skewers (about 8″ long or so) and layer on blueberries and blackberries. Finish the skewer by alternating mini marshmallows and raspberries.
- For all of the remaining wooden skewers, just layer raspberries and mini marshmallows.
- Lay out the fruit skewers in an American Flag design on a platter or tray.
Substitutions & Variations
This recipe (if you can even call it that – it’s so easy) is super flexible for adjustments.
- Swap our raspberries for strawberries, sliced in half.
- Stick to just blueberries or just blackberries for the blue portion.
- Alternate mini marshmallows in the blue part of the “flag” too.
- Make smaller versions (use 4 or 5″ skewers) for mini American Flag designs.
Tip for Making these Skewers
Here’s a handy tip to save the day if you have trouble sliding the mini marshmallows along the wooden skewer. Marshmallows are very sticky and often get stuck sliding up the skewer. Spritz a paper towel with nonstick baking spray (like PAM) and slide the wooden skewer along the damp paper towel, wiping off any excess. Your mini marshmallows will slide right on the skewer now!
I hope you and your family love these American Flag Fruit Skewers as much we mine does! The Fourth is all about the red, white and blue and this will be the easiest patriotic appetizer or snack you’ve ever made, trust me!
Want a few more delicious appetizers to serve at your Fourth of July party? I have you covered! Here are a few suggestions I know you’ll LOVE!
- Cream Cheese and Pepper Jelly Phyllo Cups (tip – swap pepper jelly for raspberry jam for a red and white patriotic version)
- Blueberry Goat Cheese Log
- Caprese Dip (naturally red, white & *delish*)
If you make these American Flag fruit skewers, be sure to tag me on social, I’d LOVE to see! @bestappetizers on Instagram, Facebook, etc.
American Flag Fruit Skewers
- 11 wooden skewers 8" or so long
- 8 blueberries
- 8 blackberries
- 36 mini marshmallows
- 43 raspberries
- On 4 of the wooden skewers, layer on a blueberry, blackberry, blueberry blackberry and follow with mini marshmallow, raspberry, another mini marshmallow and one last raspberry.
- On the remaining 7 (or more!) skewers, layer on 5 raspberries and 5 mini marshmallows, alternating between the two.
- On a tray or platter, lay out the skewers in an American Flag design, the blueberry/blackberry skewers first followed by the marshmallow/raspberry ones.
- This "recipe" is very flexible, you can use strawberries, just blueberries, just blackberries, more or less skewers, etc. Keep chilled until ready to enjoy!