This Ranch Cheese Ball is a huge hit for game day parties or any occasion where you need a make-ahead appetizer! It’s loaded with ranch flavor, bacon, cheddar cheese, green onion, bacon, and cream cheese!
I’m always a fan of easy appetizers, ones that you can prep in advance with simple ingredients and pull out when it’s party time! This Ranch Cheese Ball is just that. It’s loaded with ranch flavor and ready in minutes. Pop it in the refrigerator until it’s go time!
Ranch Cheese Ball Ingredients
If you LOVE ranch flavor, bacon and cheddar cheese, then consider this cheese ball to be your new favorite. It’s absolutely delicious, and won’t last long at your party! It’s just the perfect combination of flavors for a party appetizer. It’s one of the best cheese ball recipes!
How to Make a Ranch Cheese Ball
- Using a food processor or mixer, combine softened (room temperature) cream cheese (this is key, it makes it easy to mix together) along with the rest of your ranch cheese ball mix-ins like the ranch seasoning packet, etc.
- Once combined, use a spatula to flip out the cheese ball mixture onto a layer of plastic wrap on your counter.
- Spritz clean hands with a quick spray of nonstick cooking spray to help form the ranch cheese ball mixture into a ball shape.
- Lay it on the plastic wrap and carefully fold the sides of the wrap around the ball. Now you can apply more pressure to help shape it into that perfect ball shape!
- Refrigerate for at least 8 hours (I usually leave it overnight).
- Spread your cheese ball coatings on a shallow plate. Remove the cheese ball from the refrigerator and unwrap. Roll it in the coating until evenly coated, gently pressing the toppings in if needed.
How far ahead can you make a cheese ball?
You can make this ranch cheese ball up to 3 days in advance. Just wait to roll it in the coating of green onion, cheddar and chopped pecans until you’re ready to serve (so the nuts stay crunchy).
How do you serve a cheese ball?
Cheese balls are probably the easiest appetizer to plate and serve. It’s as simple as placing the finished, coated cheese ball on a large serving tray or platter (even a large dinner plate) and surrounding it with your crackers, pretzels, pita chips, veggies, crostini, etc. Don’t forget to add on a cheese knife and serve it up at your next party!
This ranch cheese ball would be the perfect party appetizer for any holiday party, cocktail party, game night, tailgate, Super Bowl party, etc. For football games, you could even shape it into a football and top it with strips of provolone cheese for the laces.
Or roll it into mini cheese balls and serve topped with a pretzel stick for easy serving to a crowd! Or keep it as a big ball, up to you!
How long do homemade cheese balls last?
Cheese balls will last up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Be sure to store them in an airtight container. I wrap mine tightly in plastic wrap and then in an airtight container.
Ranch Cheese Ball Tips & Tricks
- I highly suggest shredding your own cheese off a cheese block rather than using bagged, shredded cheese. If you’re in a pinch, store-bought will work fine, but freshly shredded cheese has a much richer flavor!
- Don’t skip the ranch seasoning packet, I used the Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning & Dressing Packet.
- Don’t want to use pecans? Swap them for almonds or walnuts or leave them off altogether! You can add extra crispy bacon to the coating or just roll in extra cheddar and diced green onion.
- This recipe has 1/2 cup of chopped, crispy bacon added in so you could call this a bacon ranch cheese ball, but you can certainly omit the bacon (or even add more) to your taste preference. In a pinch, you can sub in bacon bits.
Want more easy party appetizers? Try out these below!
- Olive Cheese Ball
- Baked Muffuletta Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip (Without Cream Cheese)
- Cold Caprese Dip with Tomatoes, Mozzarella & Basil
This cheese ball has SO much flavor, it’s an easy make-ahead appetizer and uses simple ingredients, it’s a winner!
Ranch Cheese Ball
For the Ranch Cheese Ball
- 16 oz cream cheese (Two 8 oz blocks)
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 oz Ranch Seasoning (1 packet)
- 1/4 cup green onions finely chopped
- 1/2 cup bacon chopped
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
For the Cheese Ball Coating
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp green onions finely chopped
- Using a food processor, standing mixer or in a large mixing bowl, combine together cream cheese, sour cream, sharp cheddar cheese, Ranch seasoning packet, green onions, bacon, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Spritz clean hands with nonstick baking spray and mold the cheese mixture into a ball shape.
- Lay out a piece of plastic wrap and add the ball on top. Fold up the plastic wrap around the ball and further mold into a ball.
- Refrigerate for 8 hours (at least 4 hours if in a pinch). This will help firm up the cheese ball.
- In a shallow dish or plate, stir together the coating (pecans, sharp cheddar cheese and green onions).
- Unwrap the cheese ball and carefully roll it in the toppings. Gently press the toppings in to the sides, if needed.
- Serve with crackers, crostini or toast rounds and enjoy!