If you love crab and cream cheese dip or crab rangoon, you will LOVE this easy Crab Cheese Ball with wonton chips (or favorite cracker of your choice!). This cheese ball is a simple party appetizer that is full of crab meat and cheese and so delicious!
Cheese balls are the best! Yes, they’re a bit of a retro appetizer but that makes them even better! Plus, you can prepare them in advance (it lets the flavors marinate together even more) and pull it out when ready to serve.
When you’re hosting, it’s nice to have one less thing to worry about, so I’ve got you covered for the easy appetizer… the most delicious crab cheese ball!
At Chinese restaurants, I love to order Crab Rangoon (crab, cream cheese and seasonings all wrapped up in wonton wrappers and fried to crispy) and I wanted to create a cheese ball that reminded me of this delicious snack.
If you LOVE crab dip or crab rangoon, you’re going to love this cheese ball appetizer! Tons of chives, seasonings, garlic, cheese… and of course, the best.. LOTS of crabmeat! It has so much flavor!
How to Make a Crab Cheese Ball
- Using a food processor or mixer, combine softened (room temperature) cream cheese (this is key, it makes it easy to mix together) along with the rest of your crab cheese ball mix-ins like the crab meat, garlic, shredded cheeses, etc.
- Once combined, use a spatula to flip out the cheese ball mixture onto a layer of plastic wrap on your counter.
- Spritz clean hands with a quick spray of nonstick cooking spray to help form the crab cheese ball mixture into a ball shape.
- Lay it on the plastic wrap and carefully fold the sides of the wrap around the ball. Now you can apply more pressure to help shape it into that perfect ball shape!
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours (I usually leave it overnight).
- Spread your cheese ball coatings on a shallow plate. Remove the cheese ball from the refrigerator and unwrap. Roll it in the diced chives (you can use green onions too) and chopped walnuts until evenly coated, gently pressing the toppings in if needed. All done and ready to EAT!
To keep with the crab rangoon theme, I made my own air fried wonton chips out of wonton wrappers in my air fryer, they’re so easy to make! You could truly serve this cheese ball with just about anything though!
- Air Fried Wonton Chips
- Ritz Crackers
- Water Crackers
- Veggie Slices (celery, bell pepper strips, carrot sticks)
- Pita Chips
- Crostini Toasts
How long will this Cheese Ball last?
This cheese ball will last about 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. Typically, most cheese balls can last a few days longer but since this one contains seafood, it’s best to not go beyond 4 days.
Crab Cheese Ball Tips & Tricks
- Shred your own cheeses! Trust me, guys! When it comes to a cheese ball, cheese is an important part of the equation. You can really taste the difference when it comes to taking the time to shred your own cheddar (and mozzarella if you have time).
- Hot Sauce: Don’t be alarmed, it’s not spicy but it does have a teaspoon of hot sauce. Want things spicier? Add two teaspoons and about 1/2 teaspoon of red cayenne pepper for extra kick!
- Let’s talk crab! Use real crab (flake style, drained) or imitation crab meat. The choice is yours!
- Prefer this cheese ball without nuts? No problem! Leave them out of the cheese ball coating. Or swap out the walnuts for pecans, almonds, pistachios..all of these would be delicious alternatives!
- Coating Ideas: If you want to leave off the coating altogether, you could drizzle it with cocktail sauce or a sweet and sour sauce. Or even coat it in toastes bread crumbs!
- If you don’t have this herb chopper yet, it’s a lifesaver for quickly dicing herbs for recipes and garnishes!
This crab dip cheese ball is one of the easiest recipes and always a hit! The crab meat elevates it beyond a simple cheese ball so it has a little extra something that keeps everyone going back for more! Make this low carb appetizer for holiday parties, cocktail parties, game days, and more!
Want more Party Appetizers? Check out these below!
- See all our cheese balls here!
- Sriracha Dipping Sauce
- Redneck Caviar
- Chilled Marinated Shrimp
- Smoked Tuna Dip
- Olive Cheese Ball
- Buffalo Chicken Dip (lightened up!)
Crab Cheese Ball
For the Crab Cheese Ball
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 6 ounces lump crabmeat drained (can substitute imitation crab meat)
- 1 clove garlic minced (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chives finely diced (or green onions)
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
For the Cheese Ball Coating
- 3 tablespoons chives diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons walnuts chopped (optional)
- Using a food processor, standing mixer, hand mixer or in a large bowl, combine together cheese ball ingredients, mixing well.
- Spritz clean hands with nonstick baking spray and mold the cheese mixture into a ball shape.
- Lay out a large sheet of plastic wrap and add the ball on top. Fold up the plastic wrap around the ball and further mold into a ball.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours (overnight works well too!) so the cheese ball has time to firm up.
- In a shallow dish or plate, stir together the cheese ball coating (diced chives, paprika and chopped walnuts).
- Unwrap the cheese ball and carefully roll it in the toppings. Gently press the toppings in to the sides, if needed.
- Serve with wonton chips, crackers, crostini or toast rounds and enjoy!