These savory mini jalapeño cornbread muffins are the perfect one-handed bite to enjoy as an easy appetizer or accompaniment for a cozy soup or chili dinner!
There’s just something about these buttery mini jalapeño cornbread muffins that warms the soul! They remind of my favorite skillet-style cornbread, but in a bite-sized version dotted with diced jalapeño.
You might have noticed that many cornbread muffins start out with a box of Jiffy cornbread mix, which tends to make a sweeter cornbread. Many also have flour included. This recipe, however, is more of an old-fashioned skillet cornbread that reminds me of what my grandfather would make in his cast iron every time we visited!
So if you’re looking for more of a savory cornbread muffin that’s made-from-scratch, then this is the recipe for you!
Since these mini jalapeño cornbread muffins are on the savory side, I think they pair perfectly with honey butter if you love a touch of sweetness. Heavenly!
Mini Jalapeño Cornbread Muffin: Ingredients
Recipe Tips & Notes
Read below for tips and questions to help with these bite-sized cornbread muffins!
How spicy are these jalapeño cornbread muffins?
Not too spicy at all! The seeds are removed from the jalapeños so they add flavor without too much heat. Now you can add more spice by adding more jalapeño and leaving the seeds in.
Can I make them with a standard muffin tin?
You can, they’ll just be regular-sized muffins rather than mini muffins. Keep in mind, you’ll need to increase the baking time a bit if you make them larger.
PUT A TWIST ON IT: Add 1/4-1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese to make Mini Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Muffins!
Serve up these savory cornbread muffins alongside chili, soup, or as an addition to any appetizer spread!
Mini Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
- 2 cups self-rising white corn meal ((finely ground))
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers (deseeded and chopped)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
- Grease a mini muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the chopped jalapenos, egg, oil, and sour cream. Stir well until combined.
- Add baking soda and buttermilk to your wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Add your cornmeal mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Do not over-stir.
- Spoon the cornbread batter into miniature muffin pan and bake for 12 to 15 minutes (lightly golden on top).
- Serve with warm butter.