Tis the season for ALL the holiday parties with festive finger foods that don’t require silverware! These Christmas Deviled Eggs with a little touch of “holly” on top are the perfect Christmas appetizer!
Deviled eggs are ALWAYS one of the most popular appetizers I serve at parties. Granted these Christmas Deviled Eggs can take a bit of assembly, once you have your ingredients and garnish ready, they come together in minutes and you can make them in advance!
Christmas Deviled Eggs: Ingredient Notes
Here are a few tips, notes and substitution ideas for the ingredients!
EGGS: You definitely can’t substitute the eggs, ha! I like a large egg size for these deviled eggs.
MAYONNAISE: If you want to lighten it up, you can use a lighter mayo, I use a regular, full-fat mayo in these Christmas deviled eggs so the flavor is rich and creamy. Don’t want to use mayo? Use sour cream instead!
DIJON MUSTARD: I love the flavor of Dijon mustard, but you can substitue in yellow mustard or a spicy brown mustard.
SMOKED PAPRIKA: I love the flavor of smoked paprika, but regular paprika is fine also! You could also add some cayenne pepper too, but I try to keep the spiciness to a minimum if I’m serving these to all ages.
WHITE WINE VINEGAR: You can substitute in red wine vinegar or champagne vinegar if you like.
SALT: I add just a little salt, you can add more to taste.
POMEGRANATE ARILS: Find these in a small container by the sliced fruit in your grocery store’s produce section. You can also buy a pomegranate and remove the arils yourself!
PARSLEY: A little sprig of parsley is used to make the “holly” leaves on the pomegranate garnish on the top of the deviled eggs. You can use any green herb to get the look!
Tips for making Christmas Deviled Eggs in advance:
You can absolutely do the prep work for these deviled eggs ahead of time. Christmas hustle and bustle is real so help yourself out and follow these tips!
- HARD BOIL YOUR EGGS – After you eggs are cool, slice them however you prefer (I love the look of slicing crossways rather than longways) and scoop out the yellow yolks.
- STORE THE EGG WHITES – Place the prepped egg whites in an airtight container in the refrigerator to store for up to 5 days.
- PREP YOUR FILLING – Use the scooped out yolks and add in the rest of your filling ingredients. Go ahead and store it in your piping bag fitted with a fluted piping tip. If you don’t have these tools, a plain old plastic ziplock bag with the corner snipped off while work also. Just wait to cut that corner off until you’re ready to fill the eggs. Store the filling in the refrigerator.
- ASSEMBLE THE DEVILED EGGS – When it’s go-time, remove the egg whites and your piping bag and fill your Christmas Deviled Eggs. Add the festive pomegranate and parsley “holly” touch. Add on an extra dusting of smoked paprika too.
More Christmas Appetizers:
The holidays are all about festive finger foods, here are a few more your party guests will LOVE!
- Christmas Cheese Ball Wreath
- Bacon Wrapped Chestnuts
- Fig & Goat Cheese Crostini
- Baked Brie
- Cream Cheese & Pepper Jelly Phyllo Cups
I hope you’ll give these gorgeous Christmas Deviled Eggs a try this holiday season! They’re so pretty on a holiday buffet!
Christmas Deviled Eggs
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 2 tbsp parsley
- Place the eggs in a single layer in a saucepan or large pot. Add water until eggs are covered about 1 inch (total: 3 inches of water). Bring water to a boil, remove from heat and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Immediately remove the eggs and run under cold water or set in a large bowl of ice water.
- Carefully crack each egg and peel the shell. Peel it under running water to help make this easier.
- Cut eggs in half crosswise and carefully remove the yolks with a spoon.
- Place the egg yolks in a mixing bowl and add in mayo, Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, paprika and salt. Stir together to combine.
- Place filling in a plastic piping bag with a fluted tip (or a plastic bag with the corner snipped off) and pipe each egg white with a swirl of the filling.
- Add a sprig of parsley to each deviled egg. Garnish with 3 pomegranate arils and a dash of extra smoked paprika.